Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Crispy Baked Tofu

This recipe is from Chow Vegan (awesome website, check it out if you haven't seen it).

The tofu is delicious and very versatile. Each time I've made it, I've gone with a sort of "fish and chips" theme and served it with fried potato wedges and tartar sauce. I keep meaning to try it in a sandwich.



Here is the recipe. I made a few substitutions to compensate for the things we were out of, but the original version can be found on Chowvegan.com

Crispy Baked Tofu

1 pound extra firm tofu (drain, cut into 1/4" thick slices)
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast)
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 eggs worth of Ener-G Egg Replacer
1 tablespoon Soy sauce

Preheat the oven to 400F

Combine the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, and garlic salt. In another bowl combine the Ener-G Egg Replacer and soy sauce. Dip the slices of tofu into the "egg" mixture, then into the breadcrumbs. Place the breaded tofu on a baking sheet, and bake for 20 - 30 minutes.


Tartar Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise (The Smart Balance one is awesome)
5 sweet pickles, diced
1/4 onion, minced
1 lemon (juice)

Mix everything together, refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Yum!!
One question- where do I find the egg substitute? Can I get it anywhere or do I have to go to a specialty foods store?
Glad I stumbled upon this, thanks!

Crusty Baguette said...

Thanks for posting, Hilary!

I buy Ener-G Egg Replacer at Fry's, but I don't think they are nation wide. I've heard that Whole Foods has it. It is worth looking for, it really works well in anything baked and it is all natural.

chow vegan said...

Yours came out beautiful! Great idea with the Ener-G egg replacer! I'll have to try that sometime. Thanks! :-)