Thursday, February 12, 2009

Vegan Poptarts!

Zach was craving pop tarts tonight, so of course we were out. I started to wonder if it was possible to make my own. They are supposed to be a pastry, right? So I thought about it a little and realized that the dough I make pie crusts from would probably work. We have a jar of apricot jam in the fridge, so why not try to make apricot poptarts?

Before I started I did a quick google search. Sure enough, I haven't been the only person with this idea! chezpin.com lists a very detailed description on how to make them. asweetfantasy.blogspot.com has some very pretty ones if you don't mind artificial coloring.

Here are mine:





You can use any piecrust recipe, just add a teaspoon or so of sugar to it.

Here's the recipe I used:

Poptarts
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup Crisco
3 tbsp. cold water


1/4 cup jam (your favorite)

1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons water


Mix the flour, salt, sugar, and shortening together until the mixture is "sandy". Gradually add the water and stir, until a pliable dough forms. Don't be afraid to use your hands!

I then rolled the dough out, and cut it into rectangles. I thought of each rectangle as an open book. I added about 2 teaspoons of jam to each rectangle, and folded it in half (as if you are closing the book). Then I used a fork to press the edges together. I used the same fork to add puncture holes to the poptarts, so they don't turn into poptart bubbles in the oven.

I baked them for 12 minutes at 450F. While they cooled I mixed together the powdered sugar with a little water. Add the water slowly, a little goes a long way. When the mixture was of icing-consistency, I used it to frost the poptarts.

I got 7 small ones out of the recipe. Zach ate 5 of them in one sitting. I hope you enjoy them as much as he did!

*I'm aware that some vegans don't consider sugar to be vegan-friendly. I think it just depends on where you want to draw the line. I'm almost positive that you can replace the small amount of sugar with maple syrup or agave nectar. I'm out of both right now, but I will try it when I get more and update this with the results.

No comments: