Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

This was our very first vegetarian Thanksgiving, and it was wonderful to be able to spend it with a vegetarian-friendly family. We spent it with Zach's aunt and uncle, Pete and Beth. Zach's brother and cousin stopped in later for dessert. It couldn't have been a better environment for River's first Thanksgiving!

The only dishes that contained meat were the turkey itself, and the turkey gravy.

There were two types of vegetarian stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, homemade garlic and herb butter, whole wheat buns, pumpkin polenta, butternut squash, green bean casserole, an unturkey seitan roast, and vegetarian gravy. For dessert there was cherry, pecan, and pumpkin pies, and hot coffee. It was quite the feast!

I don't have the recipe that Beth used for her vegetarian stuffing, but ours came from Vegweb.com. We skipped the rosemary, raisins, and nuts. It was good, but a little dry. I should have added a little extra vegetable broth but I was worried it would be soggy. Beth's stuffing was much tastier, I'll have to ask her for the recipe.

Our Unturkey Seitan Roast came from The Vegan Chef. I followed the recipe to a T. Unfortunately, something went wrong. Somewhere, I made a mistake. I suspect that when I was supposed to add half the liquid to the Vital Wheat Gluten, that I mis-measured and added less. My Unturkey came out dry and rubbery. The flavor was wonderful though, and it sliced up like turkey.

The vegetarian gravy was kind of an experiement. Beth makes really good gravy, but had never made a vegetarian version. She created a recipe using vegetable broth. It was good, but I think the broth and spices wound up tasting a bit too salty... I'm not sure what was off, actually. She suggested that we add a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup to the mix. Somehow, this worked! It wasn't the best gravy, but it was creamy and good.

I think that I left my camera at Beth's house (or possibly in the car) so I'll have to wait to post pictures.

No comments: