Sunday, October 12, 2008

Freezer Canned Tomatoes

I've been taking quite the hiatus!

Remember the Roasted Tomato Soup that we made back in August? Well, tomatoes were on sale for 48 cents a pound this weekend! I told Zach that we were going to buy $20 worth of tomatoes. We filled up 3 big plastic produce bags with tomatoes, and I was certain that we had tons and tons. It turned out we only had 12 pounds of tomatoes. 12 pounds of tomatoes that cost only $6!

I cut each one in half, drizzled them with olive oil, and roasted them at 400F for about 30 minutes. Then I ran them through the blender, and poured them into my quart sized mason jars. I felled each jar 3/4 of the way full, and put them in the freezer. We ended up with 6 quarts of frozen tomatoes!

I meant to go back to the store and buy more tomatoes, but never got around to it. Oh well, 6 jars of frozen tomatoes will end up making 24 bowls of tomato soup this winter!

No comments: