Tuesday, July 1, 2008

No Knead Bread

Mmmm… I made the best homemade bread, ever. I think the only type that tops it was the type my mom made when I was a kid. Mom, why did you stop baking?? I got the recipe at SteamyKitchen. I’m almost ashamed to post my own pictures, since Jaden’s are so great!

Like I said, "almost".


Let's make a meal out of it!


What could be more simple, yet still so tasty?

No Knead Bread (adapted from Steamykitchen)
3 cups bread flour
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
3/4 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups warm water

The night before: Mix everything together. Don’t bother to make it uniform, just get it somewhat mixed. Set your floury/doughy blob into a bowl and cover it with saran wrap. Let it sit overnight, and through most of the next day.

The next day: Lay a dishcloth (not terry-cloth) on the counter, and coat it with about 1/2 cup of flour. Dump your now-gooey-blob-of-dough onto the dishcloth, and kind of roll it about to get it coated in flour and somewhat ball-shaped. Position it seam-side-down, and wrap it in the towel. (Side note: My fiance ended up in the hospital, so mine sat out until 11pm, and then was put in the refrigerator for three days. When he got home I pulled it out and let it warm up for an hour, and continued with the recipe. It still tasted great!)

1 1/2 hours later: Preheat the oven to 450*F, and put a large oven-proof pot into the oven, with the lid on.

1/2 hour later: Take the pot out of the oven, dump the ball of dough into the pot (doesn’t have to be perfect), cover, and let it bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid, and bake another 15 minutes.

Remove from oven, allow it to rest for as long as you can resist it, and enjoy!

“Meaty” Vegetarian Spaghetti:
Nothing fancy here, as I was too tired to make my own sauce.

1 Jar of pasta sauce (I like Trader Joe’s Tomato Basil)
1/4 bag of fake meat crumbles (I used Morningstar)
box of pasta (I used Linguine, I like the fat noodles).

Add the fake-meat to the pasta sauce, heat it up, and cook the pasta according to directions. Mix them together. This doesn’t really need a recipe…

No comments: