Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lo Mein

This is my go-to dish when we don't know what else to make. It is an easy way to use the quickly-expiring-miscellaneous vegetables from the fridge. I haven't found a combination of ingredients that I didn't like.



Lo Mein
1/4 box of noodes (any type - linguine, spaghetti, ramen if you get rid of the MSG filled seasoning packet, etc.)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Miscellaneous vegetables diced or cut appropriately (cabbage, carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, bean sprouts) - optional
1/4 cup of peanut butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon garlic (minced) - optional
1 teaspoon chili oil - optional
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes - optional

Cook the noodles according to the directions. While the noodles are cooking, add the vegetable oil and vegetables to a frying pan and cook them until they are somewhat softer. Add the peanut butter, soysauce, and sesame oil. Stir it together for a minute or two to melt the peanut butter. I rarely measure these ingredients, and they can be adjusted to taste depending on the amount and types of vegetables you included. Sometimes I add chili oil or red pepper flakes and/or a teaspoon of minced garlic. Add the cooked noodles, mix to coat, and eat up!

Note: I've been using a vegetable peeler to make my carrots into strips. I like how they resemble the noodles.

No comments: